PEAR Forum :: PHP Extension and Application Repository

PEAR Forum Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
PHP SMTP Auth Problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbhardman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:36 pm    Post subject: PHP SMTP Auth Problem Reply with quote

I am trying to send email using SMTP authentication. I get this error in my browser from my PHP script:

Quote:
authentication failure [SMTP: SMTP server does not support authentication (code: 250, response: <mail_server_edited_out> PIPELINING SIZE 104857600 VRFY ETRN STARTTLS ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES 8BITMIME DSN)]

I have tried the idea of editing "SMTP.php" to add the whole STARTTLS true thing, but I do not have the same line in my file that is mentioned to edit. I know that it works with Thunderbird and STARTTLS. Any ideas what I can do?

Thanks.
jkoerber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also am getting a similar error when trying to send an email with the PEAR Mail class. The error I am getting is:
Code:
Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new reference is deprecated in usr/lib/php/Mail.php on line 154   Warning: No supported authentication methods in /usr/lib/php/PEAR.php on line 913   Warning: authentication failure [SMTP: No supported authentication methods (code 250, response: mail.spladow .com PIPELINING SIZE 10485760 VRFY ETRN AUTH CRAM-MD5 8BITMIME)] in /usr/lib/php/PEAR.php on line 913

The code I am using to send the emails is the same code running for the past 4 years on another server running PHP 5.2.4 and PEAR versions:
Code:
Installed packages, channel pear.php.net:
=========================================
Package          Version State
Archive_Tar      1.3.2   stable
Auth_SASL        1.0.2   stable
Console_Getopt   1.2.3   stable
Crypt_Blowfish   1.0.1   stable
Mail             1.1.14  stable
Mail_Mime        1.5.2   stable
Mail_Queue       1.2.1   stable
Mail_mimeDecode  1.5.0   stable
Net_SMTP         1.2.10  stable
Net_Socket       1.0.8   stable
PEAR             1.7.1   stable
Structures_Graph 1.0.2   stable
XML_RPC          1.5.1   stable

THe new server is running the exact same PHP code, but is running PHP 5.3.0 and PEAR:
Code:
Installed packages, channel pear.php.net:
=========================================
Package          Version State
Archive_Tar      1.3.3   stable
Console_Getopt   1.2.3   stable
Crypt_Blowfish   1.0.1   stable
Mail             1.1.14  stable
Mail_Mime        1.5.2   stable
Mail_Queue       1.2.3   stable
Mail_mimeDecode  1.5.0   stable
Net_SMTP         1.3.3   stable
Net_Socket       1.0.9   stable
PEAR             1.9.0   stable
Structures_Graph 1.0.3   stable
XML_Util         1.2.1   stable

So it seems either something has changed in the new versions of PEAR or PHP (or we have a config problem on the new server) that is causing my code to no longer function to send out emails from our PHP applications.

Any help in locating the real source of the problem is greatly appreciated.

-- Jon
jkoerber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I discovered the problem and fixed my problem but I am very confused as to why it works.

I was looking back at the PEAR packages installed on my older server and noticed that it had a module Auth_SASL that I had not installed on my new server.

Installing this module fixed the errors I was getting about authentication.

So now the $50,000 question: If a package like Auth_SASL is required for authenticated SMTP emails being generated in my PHP scripts, why isn't Auth_SASL a dependency of the Mail package? Given the fact that the PEAR documentation is a chore (at best) to try and decipher, how would anyone know they would need this module when authenticating to their server?

-- Jon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PEAR Forum Forum Index -> Mail All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: