PEAR Forum :: PHP Extension and Application Repository

PEAR Forum Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Using PHP to get PEAR info

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    PEAR Forum Forum Index -> General PEAR questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fredriley

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Using PHP to get PEAR info Reply with quote

Hi

A maiden post, so please be gentle with me Surprised). I have looked at the FAQs and searched the fora, but can't find the answer to the following:

How can I use PHP to get information about the PEAR installation on a server?

I want to try out PEAR in my PHP scripts on our university Unix system, on which I'm an ordinary user. I know that the system runs PHP 4.3.8 (yeah, I know, and I've nagged 'em about it), and I've tried from the command line to get pear info, but don't have the rights. If I try pear in /usr/local/bin/php I get:

Quote:
ld.so.1: /usr/local/bin/php: fatal: libnss3.so: open failed: No such file or directory
Killed

There is a usr/local/bin/pear script so the library must be installed somewhere, but I can't find out what version, what's its path, and what packages there are. I have tried including packages in a test script, eg with:

require_once "HTML/QuickForm.php";

but just get a 'no such file' error when I run it. There's no PEAR info in phpinfo() that I can find. Is there any way of using a PHP script to get PEAR info?

I know that I can install PEAR in my account but I'm very reluctant to do this as, if the test works out ok, I plan to deploy the application on a departmental account. Any tips/suggestions?

Cheers

Fred

PS: As an aside, I've had the devil of a time with PEAR on my Mac running OS/X 10.4.x, getting the dreaded package.xml version error, then getting 410 Gone errors (as reported at http://www.pear-forum.org/topic1892.html) when trying to upgrade/install packages, such that I've had to give it up as a bad job. My intention was to use the Mac as the test server (I'm running MAMP) and only when that failed did I try to use my Unix account on our main system.
mark

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which rights do you have on that server? Are you able to search for a file named 'PEAR.php'? If yes, you'll know the path that needs to be added to the include_path. If HTML_QuickForm is installed, your require_once call should work then. If PEAR_Info is installed, this package can give you some more information about the PEAR installation.

Why don't you want to install PEAR yourself? This would give you full "freedom", and this should also be possible on various other servers.
fredriley

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark wrote:
Which rights do you have on that server? Are you able to search for a file named 'PEAR.php'? If yes, you'll know the path that needs to be added to the include_path.

Almost zero rights, but I could find that file under /usr/local/bin/php so I'll follow your suggestion of adding it to include_path.

Quote:
If HTML_QuickForm is installed, your require_once call should work then. If PEAR_Info is installed, this package can give you some more information about the PEAR installation.

Thanks, that's a useful tip.

Quote:
Why don't you want to install PEAR yourself? This would give you full "freedom", and this should also be possible on various other servers.

Because I want to write and test my application on my own account, then if/when it's working I'd want to put it on a departmental account. I don't want to tell the account admin that she needs to install PEAR as well as my scripts. Of course I could include the full path to PEAR on my account in the application scripts, but then if I get run over by a bus or find a horse's head in my bed, my account will be discontinued and the application will break.

There are political reasons as well, which is that web developers in our dept are hassling our uni sysadmins to upgrade to PHP 5, for all sorts of reasons, not least that 4.x is deprecated and will be increasingly insecure. I want to use PEAR as another stick to beat them around the head with Wink

Thanks for the reply - very helpful.

Cheers

Fred
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    PEAR Forum Forum Index -> General PEAR questions All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: