PEAR Forum :: PHP Extension and Application Repository

PEAR Forum Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
I miss a comprehensive guide for installing
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PEAR Forum Forum Index -> What do you miss in/about PEAR?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
container

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject: I miss a comprehensive guide for installing Reply with quote

And it's not only me.

Installing pear is a nightmare. If there IS a documentation on this, please make it obviously reachable.

I might be blind, but then i am just an average php programmer...
primeminister
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He container,

Is this page (and more) not what you are looking for?
http://pear.php.net/manual/en/installation.cli.php

or this one on shared hosting:
http://pear.php.net/manual/en/installation.shared.php

If you need more help, don't hesitate to ask again on this forum.
llby

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And we miss also good documentation on ho to use each class. I know it's really annoying to write a doc for a programmer, but I've been digging around for a few days now and I still don't quite get some basic PEAR apps like Auth or Log ...
mark

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

llby wrote:
And we miss also good documentation on ho to use each class. I know it's really annoying to write a doc for a programmer, but I've been digging around for a few days now and I still don't quite get some basic PEAR apps like Auth or Log ...

What exactly are you missing? More details please. About which packages do you talk?

You can't really be speaking about Auth and Log, look yourself:
Auth: http://pear.php.net/manual/en/package.authentication.auth.php
Log: http://www.csh.rit.edu/~jon/projects/pear/Log/guide.html
llby

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I Know, I visited those pages.

But it's made for guys who really understand what they're doing. I never used objects like this before, and I don't find this documentation clear at all. Maybe because I was tired ..

So if you're willing to help, ... I managed to get Auth working, but I wanted to log every connection in a database. Is it possible ?
llby

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I managed to do it with the callback functions.

Here is my code :

Code:

function verifieConnexion($params) {            
      $mdb2 =& MDB2::connect(BDD_CHAINE_CONNEXION);

$a = &new Auth("MDB2", $params, 'afficheFormulaireAuthentification' );

$a->setLoginCallback('logConnexionOK') ;
      $a->setFailedLoginCallback('logConnexionKO');
      $a->start();

return $a ;
}

[/code]
mark

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

llby wrote:
Yes, I Know, I visited those pages.

But it's made for guys who really understand what they're doing. I never used objects like this before, and I don't find this documentation clear at all. Maybe because I was tired ..

If you have ideas on how the docs can be improved, feel free to open a bug with type "Documentation problem" for the package. Such improvement suggestions are always welcome. We can't really know what people need, and so every comment or idea can help to improve the situation.
shiva7663

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, a good start would be to change all the places in the documentation that tell you to go to http://go-pear.org, since it's no longer a working web link.
mark

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shiva7663 wrote:
Well, a good start would be to change all the places in the documentation that tell you to go to http://go-pear.org, since it's no longer a working web link.

May I quote myself?

Quote:
If you have ideas on how the docs can be improved, feel free to open a bug with type "Documentation problem" for the package.

The bug tracker is the right place to report such things.
bbenjamin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:02 am    Post subject: I can't agree more Reply with quote

It is well known that computer manuals are written for those who already know the answer (but maybe needed a refresher). PEAR stuff seems to be the same.

Most of the information seems to be like that of a dictionary. Well, Websters is famous but it won't teach you to read or write.

The PEAR concept seems to be very good and of great value. But, if many of the newbies just drop out because they either can't get through the very basics or believe that the learning curve of the installation, etc. is just too steep then the hard work of the various moderators, supporters, volunteers, etc. is substantially wasted.

Hopefully, someone will come along that will write a PEAR basics manual the the newbies can use.
Mittineague

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:24 am    Post subject: docs Reply with quote

IMHO a common problem is that understanding PEAR has a prerequisite of understanding basic PHP. PEAR is not a plugin or a MOD to be simply "dropped in", configured with a nice GUI, and things are good to go.
PEAR is a library of files. The more one understands the basics of PHP, the easier it will be to understand how PEAR packages work.
I have found that many packages have good information at the "External Package Homepage" link. And many packages contain example files with commentation in them.
As for installation, this is not a PEAR issue, but one that requires some knowledge of how servers/OS are set up and work.
bbenjamin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A troubleshooting section would be nice.
I started with AMP and then went to WAMP so I have multiples of some files in different places.

In some internet comments 'include' seems to refer to a package or package-part that is to be included and in others it seems to refer to an extension to be 'included'. My current problem is that my (first) PEAR script can't find the file to be included. It is 'there', where I think it should be but apparently, the registry, the apache config file, the environment, and the php.ini file each can/do play a part. E.g. I renamed all php.ini files except the one in C:/wamp/php and the error message said that it couldn't find php.ini in a subdirectory of Apache2. I thought that php was supposed to look for the php.ini file in the directory in which it was started, but maybe not. (Oops, maybe I have multiple php.exe files and it is not starting the one that I thought it was.) Back to the drawing boards.

thanks.
El Zagna

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: docs Reply with quote

Well, I'm coming to this thread late, both in terms of the thread itself and my efforts with PEAR. I've had the same frustrations with PEAR that others in this thread have had. It needs to be mentioned that his thread was started in August of 2006, and here it is March of 2008, and the fundamental problem remains: the web site, the documentation, and all those other things that would make PEAR usable to the masses of PHP developers were developed by experienced users for experienced users. As both bbenjamin and llby suggest, if you don't already know PEAR the documentation won't do you much good.

Mittineague wrote:
IMHO a common problem is that understanding PEAR has a prerequisite of understanding basic PHP.
While there's some truth to that, it doesn't come close to explaining all the problems people have with PEAR.

Mittineague wrote:
As for installation, this is not a PEAR issue, but one that requires some knowledge of how servers/OS are set up and work.
No, I'm afraid this is a PEAR issue. By now installations of even complex products are no-brainers. My installation of a local Apache server, MySQL and PHP was a snap compared to PEAR.
bbenjamin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here it is, six months later and I haven't been back to PEAR. At the time the cost/benefit ratio was < 1 so I went on to other aspects of PHP/MySQL, etc.
If the early results, or non-results as the case may be, of an endeavor are disappointing then there is less of an incentive to make the extra effort to press on.
PHP, Apache2, MySQL, Perl, and a number of scripts work just fine. Maybe if some time frees up I'll return to try PEAR again. Very Happy
gr8dane

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: docs Reply with quote

Mittineague wrote:

You've got to be kidding!! We don't usually need to know much about servers in order to program effectively in PHP, but we can't use PEAR if we can't get it installed. I'd say that's a PEAR issue.

Your documentation (and all the tutorials I've been able to find on the internet) is written for people who know a lot about servers. If you would make it more accessible to those of us who don't, more of us would be more than happy to use it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PEAR Forum Forum Index -> What do you miss in/about PEAR? All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: